I had a great weekend. We headed down to the mountains to ski. As it turns out, I decided to forgo the skiing in an attempt to get rid of this cold that I have been nurturing. It was a good decision, I’m feeling almost healthy today.
We met up with my sister, her husband and a few other friends to celebrate a birthday. It was pretty relaxed – we spent most of the time drinking wine in front of the fire.
This post isn’t actually about any of that though. It’s about something that’s been going on for most of my life.
My sister Mary and I are very similar in lots of ways, and polar opposites in others. We are both opinionated and outspoken, some people say we look alike – others don’t, but we share many similar mannerisms. We are 13 months apart in age, but most people are hard pushed guessing who’s older. We were brought up not to notice the gap at all.
The biggest difference between us is the way we live our lives. Mary is much more career driven than I am. She is extrememly successful in her job and is doing something that she will probably do for the rest of her life. I tend to spend more time playing, and perhaps don’t show my body the respect that she does. One thing I love about her is the fact that she is never judgemental.
95% of the time we are best friends. The other 5% is spent having these awful run-ins that I don’t understand. It is always when we have been drinking. One minute we’ll be talking about something, and then the next second I’ll say something and she’ll go completely off the wall. Her side of the story probably differs slightly – but I guess that’s what I’m trying to understand.
I’ve done a lot of soul searching over it in the last couple of months and things had gotten really good. Then we had a couple of blow ups this weekend. They were over such dumb things, and they never really last more than a couple of minutes, but they stay with me for a long time. I know that most sibling disharmony is the result of jealousy, and there have been times in my life when I have been very jealous of Mary, but now is not one of them.
Having said that, I don’t feel like I’m to blame for the fights we had this weekend.
No doubt she does.